Schmus, n.

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Aug 2 02:58:26 UTC 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Alice Faber wrote:

> love to locate at the moment) on the Yiddish sources of some Swiss
> horsetraders language and I believe that a direct link with Rotwelsch has
> also been demonstrated. The author's name is similar to my grandmother's
> (isn't tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon grand?), so it's by someone with a name
> sort of like Florence Greenberg.

Guggenheim-Gruenberg, Florence. "The horse dealer's language of the Swiss
Jews in Endingen and Lengnau" in Field of Yiddish : studies in Yiddish
language, folklore and literature ; published on the occasion of the
bicentennial of Columbia University / edited by Uriel Weinreich. New York
: Linguistic Circle of New York, 1954. pp. 48-62.

allen
maberry at u.washington.edu