"My children are in the service"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 11 20:07:30 UTC 2001

Does anyone know the meaning of the phrase "in the service" as used by
African-Americans.

I have occasionally heard it in the expression "my child is in the service"
or "my children are in the service".

I asked several African-American co-workers and they were baffled.  Some
thought it meant "in the military" (but wouldn't a proud parent specify Army,
Navy, etc.?).  One suggested it meant in Christian ministry ("in the service
of the Lord").

      - Jim Landau

"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make dates
with Saxon barmaids, and no more legitimate than any of the other results."
  - H. Beam Piper