Molasses & Oatmeal Cookies citations

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 26 18:25:59 UTC 2001

   I'll whip up some citations for good old American molasses and oatmeal cookies before I go.
   The City section of today's New York Times has a large story about "pickles," but they never interviewed me.  Food IS recorded, and I could tell them exactly where...Yesterday's Times bemoaned NYC's lack of appreciation for history, and Ric Burns was interviewed, and he was a guy who never talked to me, and...I better get to those cookies.

LADIES' AID COOK BOOK
First Baptist Church
Dalton, Mass.
J. L. Wade & Co., printer
Athol, Mass.
1894

Pg. 41 (four recipes!):

   MOLASSES COOKIES.
   Half cup sugar, two-thirds cup of butter, third of a cup of hot water, one teaspoon saleratus.
A FRIEND.

   MOLASSES COOKIES
   Teaspoon soda, three tablespoons boiling water, three tablespoons melted shortening, fill cup up with molasses, little salt, and flour to roll.
MRS. F. D. STANTON.

   MOLASSES COOKIES.
   One cup molasses; heat boiling hot, stir in one tablespoon of soda, one egg, one cup flour, one cup sugar, one tablespoon ginger, one of vinegar, add beaten egg last.
MRS. JOHN DECKER.

   MOLASSES COOKIES.
   One cup molasses, one cup shortening, one half cup sour milk, half cup sugar, one teaspoon salt, one of ginger, two of soda, flour to mix.
MRS. HENRY THOMPSON.

RECIPES
OLD AND NEW
Women of the First Unitarian Church
Orange, NJ
1906

Pg. 14:

   Irish Bread.
(No soda in recipe--ed.)

Pg. 20 (two recipes):

   Oatmeal Cookies.
   Two tablespoonfuls butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, beaten separately, 2 cups Quaker Oats, 1 teaspoonful vanilla, 2 teaspoonfuls baking powder.  Drop by teaspoonfuls on sheet iron pans.  Bake in moderate oven.  Allow them to stand several minutes before removing from the pans.
MRS. OLIVER MATTHEWS

   Oatmeal Cookies.
   Three cups fine oatmeal, 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup shortening, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon saleratus, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 cup hot water.  Mix all together and roll out very thin.  Bake in hot oven.
MRS. ROBERT T. CHILD