International Steward (1938-1942)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 2 03:18:25 UTC 2001

   Some stuff from the INTERNATIONAL STEWARD (1938-1942) that was brought over from the NYPL annex.  More volumes come on Saturday.

WWII FOOD SLANG

January 1942, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 9, col. 1:
   The American Bluejacket, wherever he is, has his own picturesque jargon for his dishes.  Salad is "grass," dried milk is "sea cow," chicken is "sea gull," stew is "slum," coffee is "jamoke," butter is "grease," ketchup is "red lead," and has on toast is "mud-on-a-shingle."

May 1942, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 3, col. 1:
   _NEW ARMY SLANG_
ARMY BOYS have always amused themselves by inventing nicknames for everybody and everything--principal of which is food--or should we say "chow?"
   They did it in the last war--and they'll do it again--use slang for everything connected with the kitchen.  Many of the expressions are holdovers from World War I, but there are several new ones, among them, "goldfish" for salmon; "grease" for butter, and "grass" for salad.
   One of the most amusing combinations is "bubble dance," which the boys call a soldier on K.P. who has to wash dishes.  "Battery acid" is coffee and a "crumb hunt" is when the officers inspect the mess hall and kitchens.  Canned milk is called "armored cow," while "slop on a shingle" is creamed chipped beef on toast.
   Those who spend their time in the kitchen are not forgotten, either.  Cooks are "slumburners" and bakers are "bundusters."  And, we must not forget the mess sergeant himself--he's still the "bellyrobber" to the boys in his outfit.

NEW YORK CITY--CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

  Mayor Rudolph Giuliani uses this, as does the NYC Convention and Visitors Bureau.  It generally dates from the 1940s-1950s period when the United Nations was located here, but this shows that it dates at least as early as the 1939-1940 World's Fair.

May 1940, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 18, col. 1:
_New York, The Convention and Visitor Capital Of The World..._
  PREPARED FOR "THE INTERNATIONAL STEWARD" BY THE
  NEW YORK CONVENTION AND VISITOR'S (sic) BUREAU
  That New York should become the convention capital of the world, and especially the convention city for the International Stewards' & Caterers' Association next August, is perfectly natural.

STEWARDESS

  Now called "flight attendants."  The word "stewardess" was used before the 1900s, but the OED does track the airline kind.

May 1937, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 6, col. 1:
Meal service with real silverware, china and linen features the food department of the United Air Lines.  Stewardess Hazel French is shown here serving a meal aboard one of the coast-to-coast Skylounge Mainliners.

CHEF'S SALAD

September 1938, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 12, col. 1:
   _The Ever Popular Chef's Salad_
   There are so many conceptions of Chef's salad, some so very poor and others so delightful.  The salad was originally served on the Cook's table, long before the introduction of substitute salad oils.  It was a bowl of all seasonable salad greens, mixed generously with pure olive oil, seasoned slightly with salt and freshly ground pepper, a dash of wine vinegar and sometimeschopped egg and heels of bread rubbed with garlic.  It must always be made up fresh and served as soon as mixed.  Its appeal can be improved with ocassionally (sic) garnishing it with fresh Gulf Shrimp, Sardines, Anchovies, and as a plate salad with a variety of finger sandwiches.

QUICHE LORAINE (continued)

February 1939, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 6, col. 1:
_Then Again, an Onion Pie in Alsace Loraine..._
_"Ah...She Ess Deeeferent"_
(...)
Ladies and Gentlemen:
   The first thing on the menu is the famous "Onion Pie" or Quiche Loraine--an Alsace Loraine dish.  I would like to explain about this onion pie and anyone who thinks he does not like onions, I advise him to try this dish.  This dish is usually eaten in the winter times, around the holidays.  It is made in the southern part of Germany and some parts of France.  The recipe for one pie is:
   One and a half punds onions smothered in 5 strips bacon cut in dice and a little butter.  The onions are smothered until practically done.  Then take 3 whole eggs, 1 cup milk, a little salt, a little nutmeg, 1 level tablespoon flour, and a little sugar.  When onions are done, mix with eggs beaten with milk and flour, mix all together, and put into raw pie crusts made according to any recipe.  Crust is rolled out, put into tin, folded a little on border, mixture put into it, and baked at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  It should be eaten good and hot.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT (continued)

September 1939, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 15, col. 1:
_"Tell Me What You Eat and I'll Tell You What You Are"_
(By Prof. Carl R. Fellers, Mass. State College)

STICK YOUR NECK OUT (continued)

March 1939, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 26, col. 1:
_I STUCK MY NECK OUT_
   Of course by going to Maine, like the clam, I stuck my neck out...but it was worth it.

(The CLAM?  I thought it was the TURTLE!--ed.)

SELL THE SIZZLE (continued)

November 1937, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 6, col. 1:
_What Makes PEOPLE BUY?_
By ELMER WHEELER
President, Tested Selling, Inc.
   "Don't Sell the Steak--Sell the Sizzle" was the title of a fine address delivered before the Philadelphia Convention of the International Stewards' & Caterers' Association.
(Pg. 7, col. 1--ed.)
   1. _"Don't sell the steak--sell the sizzle."_  The "sizzle" has made more sales than the cow ever did although the cow is mighty important.  Hidden in every piece of merchandise are "sizzles" which are your big selling points.  Look for them.  "Don't sell the wine--sell the bubbles."  "Don't sell the room number--sell the view."  "Don't sell the steak--sell the sizzle."

S=$ (continued)

August 1937, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 8, col. 1:
   $paghetti $pecial
   There's profit and good eating aplenty in each tin of Heinz cooked Spaghetti! (...)

HUNT AND PICK TYPIST

   Yeah, that's me.

November 1939, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 6, col. 1:
   Teddy McElroy who claims to be the champion "hunt and pick" typist (a former newspaperman) has issued a challenge to all newspapermen who use this method (and who of them doesn't).  I'd take it up only I'm breaking in a new finger...

THE BETTER HALF

   Probably much used in the Sheidlower family about now.

November 1938, INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, pg. 10, col. 2:
   In a new series of postage stamps totalling 33, George Washington commands a one center, but Martha Washington is stepped up to 1 1/2 cents.  It would be interesting to know if that is a gentle way of bowing to "the better half."