Train station

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 6 19:02:40 UTC 2001

>From: Bob Haas

>Does nobody use "depot" anymore?  I always liked that word, especially with
>a strong southern pronunciation--DEE-poh.  Or is that how it's pronounced
>in other US regions?

I might be wrong, but I've never had occasion to discuss this particular
question.

Something tells me 'depot' was a small town freight-and-passenger station,
vs. a formal center-city passenger-only station. It was certainly a bus
depot when I grew up, though 'bus station' also was also heard.

The idea seems to be a pick up/drop off point along a route vs. the
station/terminal at the end of the route, as with 'bus stop' vs 'bus
station'.