Grasshopper Cocktail (Do-wah-diddy); Bagel & Cream Cheese

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 13 06:49:59 UTC 2001

GRASSSHOPPER COCKTAIL

There she was,
Just walkin' down the street,
Singin' "Do-wah-diddy, diddy-dum, diddy-do."
--Bill Murray in STRIPES; NYC etymologist in shower.

   From the NEW YORK HERALD-TRIBUNE, 4 September 1950, pg. 11, col. 6:

   GRASSHOPPERS--In March we mentioned the Grasshopper cocktail, met for the first time at a wine and food tasting, and credited its creation to Fazio's Restaurant in Milwaukee.  The cocktail, in case you have forgotten, is made with one-third Bols white cacao, one-third Bols green creme de menthe and one-third light cream in a quick shake with shaved ice.  The drink pours a soft pastel green, palate caressing and sweet enough to be served as dessert.
   Norden Van Horne, of Rye, N. Y., writes we are wrong on the Grasshopper's origin.  "The drink appeared first at Charlie's in Minneapolis."  Also he thinks two parts of green creme de menthe in one of the clear and the result is more appealing.
   While at the aforementioned Charlie's Mr. Van Horne chanced upon another fine mixture which he calls a cross between a Grasshopper and a Brandy Alexander and a stinger.  He admits it sounds sort of hideous, but promises that a sip will quell any misapprehensions.  It goes under the sinister title of Didy-Wah-Didie.  The proportions are as follows: 2 parts brandy, 1 part green creme de menthe, 1 part brown (or white) creme de cacao, and 1 healthy dash of cream.  Our reporter adds, "this is no mere concoction, thrown together in the heat of some wild blast, but rather is a carefully prepared mixture, designed to rather subtle but effective and swift disintegration of man's rationality."

("She looked good, she looked fine, and I nearly lost my mind"--ed.)

BAGEL & CREAM CHEESE

   From the NEW YORK HERALD-TRIBUNE, 6 September 1950, pg. 18, col. 7:

_Bagel and Cream Cheese Club_
_Inauguarated by Elsie, the Cow_

Directions Accompany Membership; Green Grapes
  Stir Memories of California

By Clementine Paddleford

   Elsie, the Borden Cow, has started a bagel and cream cheese club and issued us a membership card along with directions regarding the correct method of organizing the bagel, the lox and cream cheese.  Split the bagel, we read, and cover one half with cheese and lox and top with the second half...there's your sandwich with a hole in the middle--a favorite in Jewish homes as a breakfast snack or for a filling bite any time.
   This reminds us of those bagel letters Printers Ink has been running, regarding "what is a bagel?"  A word not in Webster's but used frequently in most every Broadway column.  The definition Printers Ink gave is that "a bagel is a Jewish hard roll shaped like a doughnut, something you eat lox on."
   Then their readers wanted to know where to get "lox, stock and bagel."  Printers Ink had the answer.  "Go to your favorite delicatessen and ask for smoked salmon, and if they don't have bagels try onion rolls."
   But something nobody asked, "What makes a bagel a bagel?"  Joel Lifflander, of Armstrong Scheiler and Ripen, had the answer.  He tells us that dough for a bagel gets boiled before baking to make it glutinous and shiny.
   Printers Ink forgot all about the cream cheese and that got Elsie Borden miffed.  Cream cheese, she would have you know, is as much a part of a bagel sandwich as the smoked salmon.  Just so everybody would remember that Elsie has started her bagel and cream cheese club.

(Udderly fascinating.  I'm mooved--ed.)