From Guinea to Ginzo?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Feb 13 23:14:39 UTC 2001

>Possibly derived from 'gonzo', Italian for: NOODLE;
>LOOPY; DUPE; NINNY; NODDY; NINCOMPOOP; MUG.

But I think "ginzo" is older than "gonzo", in English?

There are several possible origins of "gonzo" in English; the straight
borrowing from Italian seems likely, now that I think of it. But around
1970, when the word was apparently 'new', it seemed to me and to others
that it was an elaboration of "gone": maybe there was convergence/confusion
of two words, or maybe this was rapid folk-etymology.

Anybody recall "gonzo" in English from much before 1965-70?

-- Doug Wilson