nookie

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Jan 3 19:53:28 UTC 2001

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> writes:

Is "nook" really obsolescent?  We had a "breakfast nook" in our
apartment when I was growing up and I've come across various "shady
nooks" and "quiet nooks" since, not to mention "nooks and crannies".
It's a lovely old word, going back to the 14th century, and I prefer
to think that rumors of its obsolescence are somewhat, if not
grossly, exaggerated.
<<<<<

Yes to all those fixed phrases. I was careful to say "obsolescent", not
"obsolete".

Now, do you ever use or see the word outside of them?

-- Mark