2K1

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Thu Jan 4 00:03:16 UTC 2001

> K is common as an abbreviation for kilo (=1000) in the metric system. It is
> widely used in km and kg among others.

> In any case, it would seem that the usage of K for 1000 (metric system) far
> outdates using it for 1024, which is a 20th century development to make
> things simple.

But K as a stand-alone "number", not coupled with a unit, is used in
popular culture _almost_ exclusively in computer terminology - like
"Meg" or "Gig".  The only example I can think of K being used as a
stand-alone value outside of computer-speak is the foot racing example I
mentioned before.  Are there other examples of this?