Buffalo food (Beef-on-Weck, Surf-n-Turf, Buffalo Wings)

Lynne Murphy lynneguist at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 4 04:32:07 UTC 2001

>From: Bapopik at AOL.COM
>1967-1968 BUFFALO YELLOW PAGES, pg. 483, col. 3.
>ANCHOR BAR ad states "Barbequed Chicken Wings."

Anchor Bar is the 'original' Buffalo wings place--all other wings are
supposedly judged against the Anchor Bar's.  But I'd suspect that they
weren't called 'Buffalo wings' until people outside Buffalo started making
them.  I didn't first eat them until 1979 in Niagara Falls, but they were
well established in the area by this time--although only served in locally
owned places, not in every bar/restaurant in town.  But I recall us calling
them "Buffalo chicken wings" and the shortening to "Buffalo wings" coming
slightly later.

Lynne, corresponding this week from western NY, where I've had my fill of
wings and beef on weck (and just plain beef, beef, beef so long as it's safe
to eat it)