Hoggies (Philadelphia, October 1945); Submarine (Baltimore, 1941)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 4 07:54:21 UTC 2001

   Greetings from NYC and a few hours of Amtrak sleep.
   The Library of Congress was very frustrating.  Some phone books were
microfilmed, and some were in the original in the local history/genealogy
division.  But you don't know what is where, or if it's anywhere.  I couldn't
get Boston, Mass., phonebooks at all.  I couldn't get New London, CT, and New
Haven, CT, phonebooks at all.
   I went through Baltimore phonebooks to check for "submarine."  I also went
through Philly phonebooks in 1949 and 1953 and found a heaven of hoggies
(usually that spelling).  I then requested 1939-1945.  I was brought 1939 &
1945.  "Sandwiches" are there in 1939 and "hoggie" is there in 1945.  When I
went to request 1940-1944 again, I was told it's past 7:30 p.m. to make
requests.
  Whatever.  Here goes:

October 1945, PHILADELPHIA YELLOW PAGES
Pg. 754, col. 1:
Bertha's Oyster House
   Spaghetti--Delicious Hoggie Sandwiches
3828 Eastwick av...BELgrde-1777

pg. 755, col. 1:
_CAPPY'S STEAK & HOGGIE SHOP_
   Delicious Hoggie And Steak Sandwiches
   Bet 18th And 19th Passyunk
2152 S Dorrance...DEWey-9313

Pg. 756, col. 1 (large ad):
DE PALMA's RESTAURANT
AL DE PALMA
The Original
Hoggie Man
Hoggies
37 KINDS OF SANDWICHES
orders made up to go out...
OPEN ALL NITE
5142 MARKET ST.
CALL GRAnite 5702

Pg. 760, col. 3:
Jen's Hoggie Shop  1527 Jackson...FULton-4461

Pg. 762, col. 3:
_MARY'S HOGGIE SHOPPE_
   1258 S 20 FULton-1353

Pg. 762, col. 4:
Neff's Hogies 5515 Woodlnd av. ...SARatga-2363

Pg. 763, col. 2:
_PEARLINGI JAS_
   Hoggie's--Steaks--Sodas--Ice Cream
6216 Lansdowne av...GREnwd-9924

Pg. 764, col. 4:
_STONEHURST SANDWICH SHOP_
   _SO. WEST PHILA._
_Stonehurst Sandwich Shops_
Submarine (Hogies) & Other
Tasty Sandwiches to Take Out
438 Long Lane Upper Darby...Madison-6303
7016 Elmwood Av...SARatga-4155

Pg. 765, col. 1:
_TONY'S HOGIE SHOP_
   _TONY'S HOGIE SHOP_
ANTHONY ZENONE, Prop.
Specializing in Real Italian Hogies
Exclusively
SERVING
CLUBS--MEETINGS
SOCIAL FUNCTIONS
LUNCHES TO TAKE OUT
   6709 Woodland Av.
   6214 Woodland Av.
6709 Woodland Av...BELgrde-4362

   This store wasn't even in the previous phonebook before this, so what are
we to make of this ad?

Winter/Spring 1941, BALTIMORE (MD) CLASSIFIED TELEPHONE DIRECTORY, pg. 326,
col. 2:

_ABRUZZESE AL_
   Originator of Steak Sandwich
     on Italian Roll