Mongolian BBQ, Margarita & more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 7 06:57:16 UTC 2001

   More phonebook food from Texas.
   OFF TOPIC TIP:  See the 2000 Tony-awarding winning play, COPENHAGEN.
Especially after eight hours of judging parking tickets.  When you fall
asleep--and you will--tell your date: "I just flew in from the Australian
outback, and boy, are my arms tired."

MONGOLIAN BARBEQUE

   From DALLAS YELLOW PAGES, October 1976, pg. 1266, col. 4:

Genghis Khan
Mongolia Feast
SERVING MOGOLIAN BARBEQUE
ORIGINAL DISH DEVELOPED BY NOMADIC MONGOLIANS
361-0280
4830 Greenville

   Genghis Khan had Mongolian barbeque?  He didn't even know the word
"barbeque."  How come OED has "Mongolian hot pot" from--1967?  Were the 1960s
the Genghis Khan years?
   Does "Mongolian" really come from ancient Mongolia?
   This ad may have appeared earlier than 1976...I never saw "Mongolian" in
any of the 1950s New York City phonebooks, and NYC has food from everywhere.

MARGARITA (continued)

  Perhaps this deserves a call to San Antonio.
  From SAN ANTONIO YELLOW PAGES, Setpember 1978, pg. 787, col. 3:

THE ORIGINAL
Pan American
Restaurant
OUR 39TH YEAR SPECIALIZING IN
ORIGINAL MEXICAN FOOD
(...)
Pan American Cocktail Room
Home of the Giant Margarita
-COCKTAILS-
FEATURING OUR FAMOUS MARGARITA
(Two Margarita drawings are shown.  I guess the place serves Margaritas--ed.)
924-5691
720 PLEASANTON RD

CHIMICHANGAS/CHIMICHANGOS (continued)

   From AUSTIN, December 1976, pg. 726, col. 1:

La Hacienda
"HOME OF THE CHIMICHANGO"
(OUR OWN 3/4 LB BEEF BURRITO)
266-1322
1 mi. West of Mansfield Dam

SMOOTHIE (continued)

September 1976, SAN ANTONIO, pg. 736, col. 3:
the greenwood
NATURAL FOOD STORE
 Delicious Fresh Salads
 Fruit Smoothies
 Sandwiches Of Every Description
 FAMOUS DESSERTS
1708 N Main
223-6937

September 1977, SAN ANTONIO, pg. 798, col. 1:
FRUIT SMOOTHIES SIDEWALK CAFE
Specializing in Poor Boys
Natural Fruit Drink
Dieter's Delight
342-3782
131 Central Park
(lower level)

STUFFED PIZZA

   John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK states that "stuffed
pizza" may come from Nancy's Pizzerias of Chicago, January 1974.  I won't
believe it until I hear it from Mike Salovesh.

June 1978, HOUSTON, pg. 1931, col. 2:
Little Italianos
Family Restaurant
"Some Of The Tastiest Pizza In The World"
New York Style
Sicilian
Stuff Pizza
Round Pizza
Thick Chicago Style
Detroit Style
465-4012
467-1745
935 N. WEST BELT DR AT I-10

June 1979, HOUSTON, pg. 2159, col. 2:
Eddie's HOMEMADE PIZZA
 DEEP-DISH SICILIAN
 "STUFT" & ROUND PIZZA
 LASAGNA & SPAGHETTI
 SUBS--SALADS
5176 RICHMOND
871-1822

ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

   I can't find "rotisserie" in Mariani at all!

April 1977, EL PASO, pg. 494, col. 2:
CHICKEN FIESTA
Charbroiled Tacos (In a box on the left--is this the name?--ed.)
ROTISSERIE CHICKEN (In very large type at the top--ed.)
CHARBROILED TACOS
TORTAS . MENUDO
562-0409
3701 MONTANA

BREAKFAST TACOS

   I wasn't aware that anyone ate "breakfast tacos" until American Airlines
served one to me.

September 1979, SAN ANTONIO, pg. 868, col. 3:
EL NORTE
MEXICAN RESTAURANT
Original
Home Made