"chad"--verifying C. Jensen's 1952 date

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jan 8 01:04:04 UTC 2001

     I have shared a few earlier messages from Mr. Chris Jensen
concerning his 1952 familiarity with the term "chad." (The earliest
attestation remains the 1947 one in the Merriam-Webster files.)
     Just to be sure, I double-checked with Mr. Jensen about whether
1952 was the  year he encountered "chad" in his army training.  Here
is an excerpt from his reply:

     "Good idea to double-check dates. I was a Korean war draftee. I
entered the Army in late 1952 and was home in graduate school in
1954. In deference to sheer accuracy, I went through Teletype school
in December, 1952, and January, 1953. What little published material
we had in Teletype school was from the vendor, the Teletype
Corporation, and was old and well-used."

---Gerald Cohen