English muffins = glazed buns

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jan 8 18:24:25 UTC 2001

FYA, when I shared Lynne's "accentless" story with my colleagues here, I
got the following response:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:19:23 -0700
From: Ed White <emwhite at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU>
To: ENGLISH at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: Linguistic laugh of the day: "no accent" (fwd)

This reminds me of a similar conversation I had in England, at a pastry
shop.  I asked what certain familiar looking items were called, to be informed
that they were "glazed buns."  "Interesting," I replied; in the US we call
them "English muffins." "Really," came the cool reply, "How odd.  Since
they REALLY ARE glazed buns."  --Ed White