unconcede

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Jan 10 18:00:55 UTC 2001

David Barnhart <ADS-L at HIGHLANDS.COM> writes:

The problem of this year's b.s.n. terms is troubling from one point of
view.  I simply did not do as much research as I should have.

     [...]

unconceded  OED 1674

A look at "Making of America" shows:

To insist that the union was such as to destroy the separate existence
and unconceded rights of the constituent parts of the body,
     [...]
   The General Assembly of 1835, The Princeton Review, July 1835, p 465

Clearly, this is more than consulting any individual.  It is a matter
of the principals doing their homework.  My undertaking was incomplete
to say the least.  Please accept my apologies for my failings in this
matter.
<<<<<

The 1835 cite is irrelevant to the sense in question. It is
     un + (concede + ed)
i.e., a negation of the past participle "conceded", rather than
     (un + concede) + ed
the past participle of the negation of "concede". IOW, it is not derived
from "unconcede", which is the lemma that people were discussing.

I can't tell about the 1674 OED cite without looking, and my OED's at home
whereas I'm at work, but I regard it as suspect for the same reason until
examined in context.

So, Dave, you've got less to apologize about than you think you do!

-- Mark A. Mandel