another first for New Haven?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 12 03:40:56 UTC 2001

At 3:59 PM -0500 1/11/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    Now the LOC tells me that Philadelphia 1940-1943 is missing!  Last time I
>was here, there were no CT directories; now they have New Haven and I'll get
>it soon.  Ah!

It may (or may not) be worth noting that just as New Haven claims to
own the first citing/sighting of

   (i)  (American-style main course) pizza (@ Frank Pepe's of Wooster
St., mentioned earlier by Barry)
  (ii)  hamburgers (@ Louis Lunch, mentioned earlier by Barry and
others--no ketchup allowed)
(iii)  frisbees (supposedly from Yale students tossing pie plates
from pies manufactured by the Frisbie Co. in Bridgeport)

--we also claim to have originated the telephone book, called The
Book of Names (as our modern directories continued to be titled until
a decade or so ago).  I have no idea which year that would have been,
nor am I necessarily endorsing any of these theories, but then I'm
not a native of these parts.

larry