whenever

David M. Robertson dmsnake at USIT.NET
Fri Jan 19 02:23:47 UTC 2001

When I was in the Navy, I worked for a while (1971) with a guy from Bay
Minette, Alabama (across the bay from Mobile), and I was very interested
in and amused by the fact that the word "when" was not in his
vocabulary. He always used "whenever" whenever I would have used "when."

I have seldom heard "whenever" used this way in Virginia, and when(ever)
I do it is in the extended-period sense.

   Snake