Countable folks

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 22:28:21 UTC 2001

In my father's family 'folks' meant my grandparents, i.e., it meant
'parents'; but you cannot refer to one parent or the other as 'a folk'. This
is an early 20c version of the Northern California accent (the one that used
'chesterfield' for 'sofa'); this may have been influenced by a Norwegian
substratum.

Another usage is not so much that of 'people', but 'community', and can be
either with or without the s. "That community has good folk[s]."

You can also refer to another family/household, but always with the s: 'the
folks living on the corner'.

You also see 'folk' used to describe the bearers of a particular
archaeological horizon, as in 'Bell Beaker folk'.

'Three or four folks' for 'three or four persons/people/individuals' is
strange sounding.