"-making"

Beverly Feldt bfeldt at WORKPLACEPRODUCTIONS.COM
Fri Jan 26 14:29:09 UTC 2001

>Having said "self-conscious-making" above, I'm wondering where/when/how did "-making" show up? I first heard it as "crazy-making" 10 to 15 years
ago, & at the time it struck me as sort of feminist therapy talk. Since
then I've heard lots of "crazy-making" but also some variations, the
formula usually being [any emotion or feeling] + -making. Happy-making,
mad-making,stupid-making, &c. Do you folks know anything about it?

>Indigo Som

In Dorothy Sayers' _Murder Must Advertise_ (1933), a bright young thing,
Dian de Momerie, says, "Too mirth-making," and "Too mystery-making"
(Chapter 9), "too yawn-making" (Chapter 11).  I also remember her
saying, "Too, too sick-making," but I can't find the reference.

Beverly