"Don't call us, we'll call you"

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Jul 23 20:13:41 UTC 2001

Some months ago, Barry Popik called our attention to the expression
"don't call us, we'll call you," and the fact that the earliest
known example of it may be from the movie _Some Like it Hot._

I am glad to be able to report that it is indeed in the screenplay,
and presumably the movie, which I haven't seen recently but everyone
remembers the line from the movie so obviously it's there:

1958 B. Wilder & I. A. L. Diamond _Some Like it Hot_ (film script) 137
First Henchman. Room 413--we'll be in touch. (he follows the
others out) Jerry. (coyly) Don't call _us_--we'll call
_you._

Jesse Sheidlower
OED