in his wheelhouse

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jun 12 02:01:43 UTC 2001

    This is getting interesting. Alice Faber points out that the NY
Giants moved to San Francisco in 1958 or 1959. This would explain why
the manager of the San Francisco Giants, Bill Rigney, was not earlier
quoted in the S.F. newspaper using the expression.

    However, the absence of the major league team from San Francisco
did not preclude lively newspaper articles on baseball. The Pacific
Coast League (1903-1988) was still very much in existence, and
sportswriters being who they are, I suppose they covered the games
with considerable interest. (They certainly did so in 1913, the year
I'm presently concentrating on.)

    So we're back to Bill Rigney. Maybe Don Sparlin is correct after
all in supposing that whoever introduced "in his wheelhouse" to
baseball lingo was from a river town like St. Louis or Cincinnati. I
think it's time for me to check with SABR (Society for American
Baseball Research) and see what Bill Rigney's background is.

---Gerald Cohen