"Alls I Need..."

Hunter Hobbs hhobbs at TSTAR.NET
Wed Jun 13 13:34:50 UTC 2001

I've developed the habit of saying "alls" instead of "all" when the word comes at the start of sentences, as in "Alls you need is love," or "Alls I'm saying is that we can't go to the lake."  I'm trying to figure out where that comes from, or whether anyone else does it at all.

I'm aware of the discussion of "You'alls" and "Y'alls", but this is something different.  And while I would have guessed it is a local habit of rural Central Texas, I've spent two weeks listening for it and heard no one else using it.