..heh..?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Jun 21 04:47:59 UTC 2001

This represents the sound /hE/ in most cases, I think, and where the
meaning is clear to me it generally represents a laugh or, less often,
something like the interjection "hey".

Web quotations:

http://deeez.dhs.org/chat.html

<<Ever been in a chat room somewhere and someone types something, and you
have know idea what they just said? ...
hehe/haha - Laughin
heh - like hehe or haha, but is used only by morons>>

http://www.handaweb.com/anthony/comedy/tops_onlinetoomuch.html

<<31 Signs You've Been Online Too Much ...
You begin to say "heh heh heh" instead of laughing.>>

and for the old guys ...

http://www.wwa.com/~rweiland/heh.htm

<<"Heh!" was, of course, the contemptuous laugh of Ming the Merciless,
generally addressed to Flash Gordon when Flash was in Ming's toils on the
enslaved planet of Mongo.>>

The "laughs" of Beavis and Butthead seem to be transcribed as "heh-heh-heh"
and "huh-huh-huh" respectively in many cases.

-- Doug Wilson