Cold Cuts (1937); Plantain Chips; Mojito; With Baited Breath

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 25 15:06:51 UTC 2001

COLD CUTS

   By the time I'm done with her, Clementine Paddleford will have more antedatings than Shakespeare.
   OED and Merriam-Webster both have 1945 for "cold cuts."
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 7 August 1937, pg. 12, cols. 7-8 headline:

_Cold Cuts for Sunday Supper_
   _Appetizing and Inexpensive_

PLANTAIN CHIPS (continued)

   A later Clementine Paddleford column that I cited had hinted that these were introduced at the NY World's Fair.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 28 July 1937, pg. 8, col. 6:

   PLAINTAINS--(...)  Our suggestion is to use them as chips.  Strip the skin off, slice the fruit in thin disks, drop into hot fat.  In about a minute you have crisp deliciousness.

MOJITO (continued)

   Another one for the OED folks is the NYHT, 21 August 1937, pg. 12, col. 2:

   Jack Doyle, who is Schenley's ambassador to the drinking world, recently computed that he had mixed his 500,000th cocktail...For the record, it was a Bacardi mint cooler called a Mojito, the place was Sloppy Joe's, in Havana, and the consumer was a Harvard man in a Porcelian hatband...

WITH BAITED BREATH

   I couldn't find this recorded.
   From THIS WEEK magazine, NYHT, 4 July 1937, pg. 9:

_With Baited Breath_
Judge Ponderby, that old fish-story teller, corners an elusive listener at the bar, and his quarry takes the bait eagerly, hook, line and chaser

CITY ON THE MAKE

   Nelson Algren wrote CHICAGO: CITY ON THE MAKE (1951).
   From Lucius Beebe's column in the NYHT, 26 June 1937, pg. 14, col. 1:

   ...Babylon-on-the-Make...

(A pun, of course, on O. Henry's "Babylon on the Subway" for New York City...Beebe wrote a Saturday column on NYC nightlife.  I have a feeling, as I read through a few years, that I might find "Bloody Mary" and also that Beebe might have coined "gay"--ed.)

(Attached is one of my letters to the editor that never get printed--ed.)