Vegan prescriptivism

Charles Wells charles at FREUDE.COM
Fri Jun 29 16:21:43 UTC 2001

In Oberlin, there are many vegans, and everyone I have ever heard pronounce
it uses a hard g.  There is waffling about the vowel, but veegan seems to
occur more often than vaygan.

--Charles Wells

>>I was actually looking to find other expressions where dog/cat are
>>contrasted (other than 'raining cats & dogs' and 'fight like cats & dogs').
>
>Referring to stocks, etc.: e.g.:
>
>http://www.xrefer.com/entry/587504
>http://www.diehardindian.com/news/news1504.htm
>http://www.tc2000.com/privuser2/wordenreportfebruary1999.htm
>
>----------
>
>When "ga" is (unusually) pronounced with "soft 'g'" (/dZ/), is some special
>semantic baggage conveyed? Consider "margarine", "veganism", "gaol". (^_^)
>
>-- Doug Wilson

Charles Wells,
Emeritus Professor of Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University
Affiliate Scholar, Oberlin College
Send all mail to:
105 South Cedar St., Oberlin, Ohio 44074, USA.
email: charles at freude.com.
home phone: 440 774 1926.
professional website: http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/wells/home.html
personal website: http://www.oberlin.net/~cwells/index.html