Vegan prescriptivism

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Jun 29 15:28:57 UTC 2001

        "Dog" is a well-established term for a stock that is in some sense
inferior.  For example, the "dogs of the Dow" approach is to invest in the
lowest-valued stocks in the Dow Industrials (as measured by price-to-yield).
I've never heard anyone say "This stock is a real cat," and it doesn't seem
to add anything to the apparently equivalent phrases "cats and dogs" and
"dogs and cats."

        On an unrelated note, you may be interested in an article on the new
Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary in yesterday's Washington Post.  The
new dictionary is not based on the Microsoft Encarta World Dictionary.  The
article is at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55123-2001Jun27.html

John Baker