All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Sat Mar 3 10:59:15 UTC 2001

The AYBABTU phenonmon showed up on my radar February 15, out of the blue. Then the
deluge of emails, web sites, parodies, and then, not even 10 days later, the backlash.
It's been, from my computer, a meme with a may-fly lifecycle. Very, very fast to
rise, very, very fast to die.

Of course, the video game itself is years old--but the meme is brand-new.

Links:

http://wirednews.com/news/culture/0,1284,42009,00.html
http://zanyvg.overclocked.org/zerowing/zwintro.gif
http://members.nbci.com/finagler/base/
http://www.planetstarseige.com/allyourbase/
http://www.imsa.edu/~dank/AYB2.swf
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24539&pagenumber=
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=15239&pagenumber=1

I should admit here that I'm still quite taken with the meme, the way it seems to
tie in so nicely to hacker-speak ("I own joo" or even just "owned"). I have  folder on
my desktop with ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US as the title, ready to be copy and
pasted into an email message at will.

--
Grant Barrett
New York loves you back.