Early example of "crap out"?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Mar 25 20:14:31 UTC 2001

>The expression "crop out" in this sense is apparently much less common
>than >"crop up" today. But "crop out" apparently was used like this more
>commonly >in the 19th Century,...

That is interesting.  I  myself would be more likely to use "crop up," but
"crop out" also seemed natural to me.  This could in part  be due to my
having grown up hearing speech that retained a good deal of XIX Century
flavor.  My father, a  professor of English and writer, with a wide stock
of language at his disposal, was born in 1878 in Ohio, and used (polite!)
expressions that I rarely heard elsewhere, or only encountered in books.
A. Murie