Tajikistan Proverb

Mon May 7 12:12:58 UTC 2001

Interesting that a "poem" I have know for a long time (representeing
letters between a college boy and his fund-depleted father) went this
way:

No mon
No fun
Your son

So sad
Too Bad
Your dad

I'm pretty sure I didn't carry this to Eastern Europe - and begin a
chain of dissemination which ended (?) in Tajikistan - in the early
70's (but, who knows?). No telling what Barry's infecting all these
places with linguistically.  But I guess the prime directive never
applied to language. (Good thing; most of us would be out of jobs!)

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages