Manos (Kyrgyzstan epic poem); Kyrgyzstan food

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu May 10 16:05:54 UTC 2001

> The OED is seems very selective in citing place names and is certainly not
> as useful a source for them as a gazetteer. E.g., OED online 1989 ed.
> lists Hungary, but not Latvia or Lithuania. I wouldn't expect a 1989
> work to list countries created after 1991.

The OED is not and has never been intended to be useful as a gazetteer.
The reason _Hungary_ is included is that we have evidence for it as
an attributive (chiefly in _Hungary water_), and not that we think it's
more worthy than Latvia or Lithuania. If we had evidence for, say,
_Latvia hat_ we would put it in.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED