Recipes of the Philippines (1953)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 24 10:45:41 UTC 2001

RECIPES OF THE PHILIPPINES
Compiled and edited by
Enriqueta David-Perez
Published by E. D. Perez
P.O. Box 3288, Manila
1953

   This is the best/earliest book I could find on this topic.  The tour group I usually travel with has offered a new Philippines tour for November, so I shall return to this topic later.
   The most important item that should be in dictionaries (but isn't) is "lumpia."
   One entry is on page 54:

   LUMPIA (FRIED)--1
   Mix 1/2 kilo pork meat (ground), 1/2 kilo chopped shrimps, a little chopped apulid, mushrooms, chives, salt and pepper, 3 egg yolks and toyo to taste.  Steam until meat is cooked.  Wrap in lumpia wrappers into very small rolls and fry in deep fat.  Serve with sweet sour sauce.
   SAUCE:  Mix vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to produce a sweet-sour taste.  Pour in a pan then add about one tablespoon catsup or tomato sauce.  When boiling thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch and water.  Add 1 small sliced hot pepper and a little chopped garlic.

   For OED editors fixated on "m," this is from the CONTENTS:

FIESTA FARE
   MORCON...21
EVERDAY DISHES
   MEAT BALLS WITH SOTANGHON...59
   MECHADO...59
   MENUDO...60
   MENUDO DE RABO...60
   MISU-TOMATO SAUCE...61
   MONGO GUISADO...61
   MORCON (MEAT ROLL)...62
SWEETS AND DESSERTS
   MAKAPUNO MERENGUE...86
   MANGO JAM...86
   MANGO PASTE OR PASTILLAS DE MANGA...86
   MANGO PRESERVE...86
   MAZAPAN DE PILI...87
BREAKFAST AND MERIENDA
   MARUYANG CAMOTE--1...105
   MARUYANG CAMOTE--2...106
   MASAPODRIDA...106
   MAJA BLANCA...106
   MAJA BLANCA MAIZ...106
REFRESHMENTS
   MANGO ICE CREAM...120

   From Pg. 123, col. 1 GLOSSARY:

_Makapuno_--freak coconut full of soft meat
_Malagkit_--glutinous rice
_Malungay_--horseradish tree
_Mashed_--crushed so that food is finer in consistency
_Miki_--wheat noodles with egg
_Mince_--chop very fine
_Misu_--paste made of fermented rice and soy beans
_Misua_--fine wheat noodles
_Mongo_--mung bean