Genitive of "you-all"

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu May 24 09:23:13 UTC 2001

I would most likely use "y'all's", probably in part to avoid the necessary
awkwardness that the genitive of the full form, "you-all", seems to impose
in forcing "your-all's". I'm sure I've said this, as it sounds much more
comfortable than "you-all's", which I would almost put a * in front of.

Previously in discussing this topic, I've mentioned hearing "your-guys"
and "your-guys's" for the "new" 2nd person plural.

Incidentally, if anyone happens to be a "Murder She Wrote" devotee, you
may have noted -- and shuddered, as I did -- that Angela Lansbury very
pointedly used "you-all" to refer to one person in her recent two-hour
special, in which she was playing the dual role of Jessica Fletcher's 19th
century Virginia aunt. It saddened me to see this stereotype perpetuated
so prominently on national television. How can the ADS ever get through to
TV and screen writers???

        Rudy