Caipirinha (1960)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 28 20:42:31 UTC 2001

   I wrote a reply to the International Herald Tribune about Brazil's attempts to ban "hot dog," but I suppose it wasn't published.  I mentioned that I've also worked on Brazil's cuisine with absolutely no help from anybody there.
   For the record, this is the earliest on Brazil's drink:

THE ART OF BRAZILIAN COOKERY
by Dolores Botafogo
1960; originally published by Doubleday & Co., NY
1993; Hippocrene Paperback Edition
1999; Third Printing

Pg. 21 (Introduction):
   He is a _caipira_  (simple person of the interior).

Pg. 217:
296. HILLBILLY COCKTAIL (Caipirinha)
   10 minutes
grated rind of 1 lemon
sugar
lemon juice
_cachaca_ or rum
crushed ice
   Mix lemon rind with enough sugar to give a sweet taste.  Take equal parts of lemon juice and _cachaca_ or rum.  Sieve the lemon sugar into this.  Serve it with a little crushed ice.  You may leave out the sugared lemon peel if you wish.