Screwdriver (1954); Ice Cream Cone; C. Barnhart

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 7 07:07:02 UTC 2001

   That "hot dog" item was intended for World Wide Words, but I wrote the wrong address.
   Mike Bloomberg is New York's next mayor.

SCREWDRIVER

   From Clementine Paddleford's column in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 4 August 1954, pg. 12, col. 6:

_The Screwdriver_
   Posters promoting the new drink refer to it as a "screwdriver," which is the drink of the moment on the west coast.  You know what?  Orange juice and vodka!  This was featured two years ago by a restaurant in Southern California and was one of those wild-fire successes.  Now, in a single week in Santa Anita, some 60,000 screwdrivers are sold to racetrack fans.

ICE CREAM CONE (continued)

   There was an editorial in the NYHT, 30 July 1954, pg. 12, col. 2:

   _The Ice-Cream Cone Saga_
(Re-hash of July 29th articles--ed.)

   And two letters in "Ice-Cream Cone Notes," NYHT, 4 August 1954, pg. 9, col. 7:

   _1761 Version_
To the N. Y. Herald Tribune:
   I would like to offer some history regarding the ice-cream cone editorial I read in your paper.
   In my family is an iron on which a cone was baked in the year 1761 with the initials of the family in the imprint on the iron, "I. N. W."
   This iron operates by two handles which bring together (Col. 8--ed.) two flat irons which are decorated differently.  When brought together they bake a flat cake about six to four inches, which must be turned into the cone by hand when it is still hot.  Each side of the iron is engraved or decorated having the date 1761 on one side and the initials "I. N. W." on the other.
   The dough for baking these cones is especially prepared and left to set for four or five hours before baking, and each cone may be turned to show either the date or the name.
   It requires two people to bake them--one to operate the iron and one to fold the cake while hot into a cone shape.
   The name of this cone was originally called "brislet" and owned by a family in Alsace-Lorraine named Wielandy.  It was handed down from 1761 and is now in possession of a family in St. Louis, Mo. by that name.  The idea of the ice-cream cone came from this originally, though the brislet was filled with whipped cream.  So the ice-cream cone is really much more than fifty years old.
   MRS. F. H. WIELANDY,
   Greenwich, Conn., Aug. 1, 1954.

CLARENCE BARNHART

   A nice article is in THIS WEEK, NYHT, 8 August 1954, pg. 9:

_MAN OF A MILLION WORDS_
_How do words get into the dictionary?  Take it from_
_Clarence Barnhart, it can be a 70-hour-a-week process_
(...)
   One Barnhart motto is, "Make up your mind and write it down."  "You have to decide," he says, "when it's publishable.  You can't wait for perfection.  It isn't worth $50,000 more to get that comma in correctly."
   However, (managing editor William--ed.) Halsey claims that "Clarence's dying words will be, 'It isn't ready.'"