q as a velar fricative?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 8 21:01:12 UTC 2001

My Farsi materials are at home, but I have a vague recollection (going
back 25+ years) that the uvular fricative for Arabic qof might be a
feature of some varieties of Farsi, which, after all, is closely related
to Pashto and Dari (Indo-Iranian languages spoken in Afghanistan). It's
further worth noting that using L2 pronunciation ("correspondents who have
worked in Arabic-speaking countries") as evidence for authentic
pronunciation of any foreign language sound is at best dangerous. On the
third hand (yes, I can *mix* that metaphor still further), it's not
unprecedented for people to think that Farsi is actually closely related
to Arabic, since they use the same writing system and there's been a heavy
influx of Arabic vocabulary into Farsi.

--
Alice Faber
Haskins Laboratories                                    Tel: (203) 865-6163
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                              faber at haskins.yale.edu