Straight from the Fridge, Dad (2001)

Jonathon Green slang at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Sat Nov 10 11:54:18 UTC 2001

Random House: Apparently, and this is from a senior RH executive in the UK
division, RH have indeed canned their reference section in its entirety. I
suggested to him - he has been an editor of mine for non-lex. books for over
a decade - that maybe RH UK could pick up Lighter: not a hope, of course.

Decharne: I'm loathe to trash a fellow toiler but BP is right in his
comments on _Straight from  The Fridge_. It really isn't very good. I was
rather surprised that No Exit - itelf rather a good independent imprint who
publish some enjoyable titles, what one might term 'post-modern pulp' - went
for it. The 'humour' categorisation is probably its kindest fate, and in
fairness I don't think it's really meant to be a scholarly dictionary. He
does, however, include some less common '50s US citations (from De Roo,
Lavada Durst, Lariar, et al.) as well as those from the more usual suspects
(Chandler, Mezzrow, Algren, et al.). If anyone wants an authoritative take
on this vocabulary (including many cites) I would recommend Robert S. Gold
_Jazz Lexicon_ (NY, Knopf, 1964).

Jonathon Green