nucular and Latino

Ittaob at AOL.COM Ittaob at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 15 02:57:50 UTC 2001

In a message dated 11/14/01 6:59:46 PM, preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU writes:

<< Well, I dunno. We do a pretty good job with Italian food items (for
example), again, especially compared to traditional British
proniciations, which actually used to have a pronuncaition  of
"pizza" with rhymed with "pit." I've never heard anything is the US
other than "Pete." Looks like the "Pete" pronunciation actually went
Italy-to-US-to-Britain.

I' ve already agreed we're better than the Brits. The point is, other than
for Spanish, Americans don't try to copy the native pronuinciation. Americans
may think that "cannoli" rhymes with "holy", or that "ricotta" rhymes with "a
lotta", but they don't. And only food cognoscenti can properly pronounce
"gnocchi.".

Steve Boatti