"Before you invest--investigate"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 11 22:34:05 UTC 2001

   AOL let me sign on.  The Hotmail "Capri shorts" post was a mess!  I'll attach it again (below).

BEFORE YOU INVEST--INVESTIGATE

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 28 September 1952, pg. 50, col. 3:

_Edward Greene_
_Dies; Business_
_Bureau Leader_
---------------
_Promoted High Ethics,_
   _Coined Phrase "Before_
   _You Invest--Investigate"_
   MAMARONECK, N. Y., Sept. 17.--Edward Lawrence Greene, sixty-eight, who, in twenty-seven years as general manager of the National Better Business Bureau, helped promote high ethical standards in advertising and other business contracts with the public, died today at his home, 1005 The Parkway.
   Mr. Greene, who coined the phrase "Before you invest--investigate," during the bureau's drive on investment frauds in the twenties, kept a vigilant eye on a wide variety of business chicanery through the years.
   He warned the public against "chain selling" schemes which blossomed in the Thirties; charity and obituary rackets; quack cures; revivals and variations of the "Spanish Prisoner" swindle, three centuries old; bogus "Kinsey Report" interviewers or census takers; misleading advertising in the recent department store "price wars," and uncounted specific deceptions, like a potentially dangerous hydraulic brake fluid, or a certain anti-freeze that contained brine.
   Mr. Greene, a native of New Haven, Conn., and a graduate of the University
of Pennsylvania...

(Guess he didn't get in to Yale--ed.)

CAPRI SHORTS (1954)(Re-sent)

   That "Photo caption of woman in 'Capri pants'" description in the previous post was my comment, but here's another citation.
   From the NEW YORK TIMES, 4 May 1954, pg. 32, col. 1:

_PUCCI CAREER DUE_
  _TO LUCKY CHANCE_
_Style Photographer's Look at_
   _Ski Suit Started Italian in_
   _Business as Designer_
   Sometimes a surprising variety of talents goes into the making of a fashion designer.
   A typical example is Emilio Pucci, prominent Italian couture sportswear designer, who is credited with having influenced the entire field with such creations as his brief Capri shorts.  Signor Pucci, who recently was in this country, resembles the hero of a romantic novel.
(...)