Linguistics is the study of... (MILLIONAIRE question!)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 23 07:03:53 UTC 2001

LINGUISTICS IS THE STUDY OF...

A.  Emotions
B.  Heredity
C.  Language
D.  Philosophy

   Jack Black was asked this question by Regis Philbin on WHO WANTS TO BE A
MILLIONAIRE just now.  I don't know why I stopped channel flipping for that
moment; Fred Shapiro wasn't on, so why watch it?
   "C. Language!"  Jack Black emotionally responded.
   "You're right!"
   Regis was smiling.  Jack was smiling.
   I don't suppose it's true that they're dumbing down the questions...

SLOPPY JOE (continued)

SOUVENIR BOOK OF FAVORITE RECIPES
FROM EL PASO, TEXAS
Compiled by the Auxiliary of St. Christopher's Episcopal Church
of El Paso, Texas
(No date; 195- is UTEP's guess)

Pg. 42:
SLOPPY JOE   Mrs. James Williams
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped celery
2 medium onions, minced
   Mix above together and soften with a little olive oil or bacon drippings.
Into this mixture put:
1/2 pkg. cooked macaroni
little green pepper, minced
1 can tomatoes
1/2 c. grated cheese
garlic, optional
   Put this mixture into a baking dish and let it stand overnight in
refrigerator, then sprinkle liberally with grated cheese.  Bake 1 hour in
moderate oven.

MAKE MINE MENUDO:
CHICANO COOK BOOK
by Ella T. and Jose A. Lopez
Sunburst Enterprises, La Puente, Calif.
1976

   On the cover are listed:

Albondigas; Atole; Barbacoa; Bunuelos; Burritos; Carnitas; Chalpuas;
Chilaquiles; Chile con Carne; Chorizo; Guacamole; Huevos Rancheros; Menudo;
Migas; Quesadillas; Tacos; Tamales
   From the Glossary on Pg. 77:

MIGAS  A Chicano dish made with crisp fried tortilla bits, scrambled with
eggs.

SURE ENOUGH, HOW COME?
by F. W. van Emden
The Naylor Company, San Antonio
1933;
Revised and Reprinted July 1938
Fifth Printing, March 1945

   An interesting little book.  J. Frank Dobie wrote an introduction.
SECTION V: THAT IMPORTANT ITEM FOOD is on pages 20-25.
   From Pg. 23:

WHERE a peanut is a GOOBER
   And where RIGHT SMART MEAL is use,
Where they eat BATTERCAKES, not "hot cakes,"
   Is where South and West have fused:
   TEXAS

MISC.

   It was 85 degrees in El Paso today...I fly home Tuesday.  That's an
all-day deal.
   UTEP had a humor magazine called EL BURRO.  I read some of it;  there were
pinup pictures of women and stuff from other humor magazines.  I gave up.
Maybe "Montezuma's revenge" and other regional stuff is there, but I doubt
it.  The humor magazine could have been from a college in the Northeast.
   No pre-1926 "taco" to report.  I checked the ads in yearbooks, the ads the
student newspaper, and the ads in local El Paso newspapers of the 1920s.
There's very little Mexican cuisine mentioned; when Mexican cuisine was
mentioned, "Hot tamales" was there.