That's gay, but it's not homosexual; etc.

Fri Sep 7 15:25:26 UTC 2001

In a message dated 9/7/2001 9:41:34 AM, abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET writes:

<< I can report that the kids (my 15-year-old son and his crowd) use "gay" as

general term of disparagement, directed at anyone who does something they

should not have done, and is viewed as weird, embarrassing, perhaps

effeminate.  I cannot say whether this is widespread, but it is clearly in

use in slang in the Northeast. >>

See RHHDAS; this meaning of GAY is widespread and has been around for years.
As I have reported in this space earlier, it was the subject of a vignette in
an episode of THE SIMPSONS several years ago: one of Bart's male friends,
seeing Bart making romantic moves on a girl, says, "Ewwww--holding hands with
a girl--that's so gay."