Complete Western Cookbook ((1964)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 13 18:26:22 UTC 2001

LIFE IN NEW YORK:  Last night, there was a bomb scare in the Empire State Building.  Just now, there was a bomb scare at Grand Central Terminal.  The New York Public Library (where I write this) was closed yesterday and is on reduced hours today.  I work at Parking Violations.  Our emergency headquarters is located at the World Trade Center.  The calendar unit has the same message, then says that the mailbox was full.  If you've never been to New York, this is not a normal day or week.

THE COMPLETE WESTERN COOKBOOK:
THE GOURMET'S GUIDE TO THE LAND BEYOND THE PECOS
by Betty Johnson
A. S. Barnes & Company, NY
1964

   For some reason, the NYPL catalog has this book under "cookery."  Not "cookery-southern" or "cookery-southwest."  Just "cookery."
   No "chimichangas," even though New Mexican dishes are on pages 12-16.  Here goes:

Pg. 13:  Green Chili...Nixtamal (Lime Hominy).
Pg. 14:  Carne con Chili Colorado (Meat with Red Chili).
Pg. 20:  Squirrel Pot Pie.
Pg. 22:  Chicken Bernalillo.
Pg. 25:  Mexican Chicken.
Pg. 33:  Rancho Sauce.
Pg. 51:  Dinette Cake.
Pg. 55:  Lazy-Daisy Cake.
Pg. 94:  Chocolate Indians.
Pg. 94:  Coconut Brownies.
Pg. 99:  Raggedy Ann Cereal Bars.
Pg. 110:  Sail Boats.  (Cheese, pickles, cucumbers--ed.)
Pg. 117:  Armenian Beaurack.
Pg. 128:  Rancher's Eggs.
Pg. 128:  Fried Eggs Mexican.
Pg. 129:  Hobo Breakfast Eggs.
Pg. 151:  Italian Bread Sticks.
Pg. 166:  Butterfly Salad.
Pg. 187:  Mazetti.
Pg. 200:  Jiffy Cheesefurters.
Pg. 200:  Rancho Rings.
Pg. 201:  Beanie Weenies.

(Crackpot letter to the New York Times attached--ed.)