TLC

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 20 12:04:13 UTC 2001

At 6:33 PM -0400 9/20/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>TLC
>   [= tender love and care]
>    Yes, "tender loving care" is what I'm used to, but these early
>citations are different.
>    Maybe I'll write to ask if Pepperidge Farm used "LTC" in its ads.

It's nice to have yet another example to add to my collection, which
currently includes:

hand-in-glove 'intimate' (before c. 1800, hand and glove was standard)
foot-in-mouth disease (usu. as self-conscious pun, but occasionally
as naive reanalysis)
neck-in-neck (July 2001, baseball context)
various misheard/reanalyzed song lyrics, including

But is her sweet expression
Worth more than my {love an' affection/lovin' affection}?
(Supremes "Stop! In the Name of Love")

I like {smoke an' lightning/smokin' lightning}
(Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild")

and also...

beckon call (web sites, commercial companies)
and of course spittin'/spit an'/spitten image, which is how come I'm
collecting these.

Pretty tricky, this neutralization-happy language we've got here.

larry