my your recommendation

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Sep 27 17:12:51 UTC 2001

--On Thursday, September 27, 2001 12:58 pm +0000 RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> 1. Can one convey the notion 'the recommendation that I wrote on your
> behalf' by saying "my your recommendation'?

No.

> 2. If not, why not?

Because 'my' and 'your' are determiners, and there's only one determiner
slot in at the front of a noun phrase.  Same reason you can't say 'the your
recommendation' or 'your that recommendation'.

The only way you could do that is by reinterpreting 'your' as an adjective,
but since it's still reflecting the argument structure that it would
reflect when it was a determiner, there's nothing particularly adjective-y
about this use, and so it's downright bad to my ear.

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex