On Barry Popik's successes and frustrations

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Sep 29 18:32:58 UTC 2001

     Keep the hanky dry, Dennis.  Barry may have encountered some
frustration in having his material properly considered by the public,
but he has also received some excellent media coverage--a wonderful
write-up by Ed Zotti in the _Wall Street Journal_, three fine
articles by Gersh Kuntzman in the _NY Post_, full acknowledgment of
his work on "the Big Apple" in a letter of mine published by "Dear
Abby," and favorable mention once in, yes, William Safire's "On
Language" column.

    But if you'd like to assign one of your M.A. or Ph.D. students a
sure-fire interesting thesis-topic, make it: "Barry Popik's
Contributions To The Study of the English Lexicon." The source
material would be the ads-l messages, Barry's published material, and
interviews with various scholars, including Barry himself. In fact,
if you limited the topic to, say, Barry's contributions to food
terminology, your student would have enough material for a thesis
right there.

---Gerald Cohen