Now You See It... (1903); Soup and Fish (1908)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 30 00:19:11 UTC 2001

TELL IT TO ME
by Ezra Kendall
Geifert & Crummel, Cleveland
1903

   Kendall's books are about 90 pages each.  It's written on one of them that the first three sold over two million copies.

Pg. 26:  But I stuck to th' "Water wagon"--
Pg. 76: The Stickwell and Stay Plaster Co.
(A drawing of this sign, but the text indicates "plaster"=drunk--ed.)
Pg. 81:  One day, in a "quick lunch" place during th' "rush" hour...
Pg. 93:  What we did with that sandwich was like a Hermann trick--Now you see it and now you don't--

HOT ASHES
by Ezra Kendall
J. B. Savage Co., Cleveland
1908

Pg. 68:
   And you have a different set of cut and dried conversation to go with every suit. (...)
   One day I went to the races with my dinner suit on and fell asleep--When the usher came around to take a betting order--He woke me up and says--What will it be--
   I looked at my clothes and says--Soup and Fish--
   When the usher woke me up again he says--What horse do you like in the Hamburger steak--

I'LL NEVER BE CURED AND I DON'T MUCH CARE:
THE HISTORY OF AN ACUTE ATTACK OF GOLF AND PERTINENT
REMARKS RELATING TO VARIOUS PIECES OF TREATMENT
by Douglas B. Wesson
J. H. Sears & Co., Inc., NY
1928

   Also no "mulligan."

Pg. 170:  No-o-o--you'll do just what I did, you'll accept as truth the old adage, "Spare the turf and spoil the shot"--than which, on my part, was ever anything ever more so?