FW: names for "C" schools"

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Aug 8 13:04:33 UTC 2002

RE what Katy M says below, I can report that my father, an alum of the Univ
of Detroit, referred to it as "U of D".

Frank Abate

At 10:41 AM 8/7/02 -0400, Laurence Horn wrote:
>These are subject to change.  When I attended the University of
>Rochester in the 1960's it was always "the U of R", and anyone
>abbreviating differently was corrected.  Visiting there this summer I
>was surprised to hear the tour guide and information session leader
>referring to "UR".

I had the opposite experience. I went to the University of Dallas.
My father is an alumnus of the University of Delaware.
His alma mater was always called U of D, and mine, UD.
But, I recently received an Alumni Notes email calling my school the U of
D. Looked very strange to me.

Katy

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire