Eastern Kentucky accent and UK accents

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Dec 6 16:41:04 UTC 2002

But recall my comments on the difficulty of acquiring a second
dialect/accent past adolescence, for which there is considerable research
evidence.  However, that said, some accommodation may be made, certainly in
lexicon, somewhat less in grammar (as in giving up "needs washed" in favor
of "needs to be washed" or "needs washing"--not at all easy for native
users of the first form), and maybe to at least a "comprehensible" degree
in pronunciation (as Spencer suggested).

Hiring practices are a toughie.  Our ESL program refused, until just a few
years ago, to hire anyone but native American English speakers of a
"general" Northern/Midwestern accent--no Brits need apply!  The first
outsider they hired was a Malaysian English speaker with a long history of
EFL teaching and a semi-British English accent; the next two were actual
Brits (one RP-ish and the other resolutely not); another was a Scotsman who
reluctantly used SBE in the classroom but protested its "forced" spread
around the world; and now it has hired a Bulgarian guy whose English is
closer to AmEng than BritEng but who clearly has a NNS accent.  And in
between, it has finally hired several Southern and South Midland
Americans.  But one TA commented just the other day that the Southern
Alabama TA last year "changed" her speech for the sake of her ESL
students--not at all true, in my hearing, but testimony to the power of the
prescriptivist myth that even twists listeners' perceptions of their own
colleagues' speech!

On attitudes:  One of the British teachers in our ESL program did a
subjective reaction test (using taped voices but no other identifiers) of
ESL students for my Sociolinguistics class and found that "very
comprehensible" was the key factor; it happened to correlate positively
with another Brit voice, but written comments said "she talked slow,"
"repeated and rephrased often," "used varied intonation patterns,"
etc.  "Pleasant," "cultivated," "highly educated-sounding," etc. ranged all
over the various voices.  She interpreted this as common sense; training in
HOW to talk with new listeners (whether NNSs or others unfamiliar with the
local or national speech) is the critical factor.  My grad students
jokingly call me Road Runner because of my fast Minnesota speech, but I
know how to adjust when I have non-natives in the class!  I'd suggest the
same approach to Stephani and others.

Frank, perhaps you could forward this to Patrick Hanks, who's obviously had
experience in this area too.  (But the Everly Brothers?!)

Beverly Olson Flanigan
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Ohio University
Athens, OH  45701