Eastern Kentucky accent and UK accents

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Dec 6 19:13:17 UTC 2002

>>> flanigan at OHIO.EDU 12/06/02 08:41AM >>>

>>Hiring practices are a toughie.  Our ESL program refused, until just a few
>>years ago, to hire anyone but native American English speakers of a
>>"general" Northern/Midwestern accent--no Brits need apply!

Didn't we just have the results of a perception test about 3 weeks ago in which it was determined that Texans are the most honest, etc, etc.?  Maybe Stephani should look through the archives and find the results of that investigation.  I don't know what her prof really meant or his attitudes, but those findings are surely food for thought for her.

 >>My grad students jokingly call me Road Runner because of my fast Minnesota speech,

That's very interesting, Beverly, because one of the stereotypes of MN speech is that it is very slooowww. Remember Howard Mohr's "How to Talk Minnesotan"? (At least I think it was Howard)
Fritz