react (n)

Tue Dec 10 13:15:49 UTC 2002

Where was the stress? REact or reACT? I'd take (small) bets on the former.

dInIs

On NPR's Sunday Weekend Edition yesterday, a reporter (Don Gonyea)
used 'react' as a noun. The quote is: "Here's the official react from
the White House in the form of a brief, less than 100-word statement
from the press secretary, Ari Fleischer."

Has anyone heard this before? I wondered if it is a common
journalistic shorthand or just an idiosyncrasy of this reporter.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics