linguistic chauvenisms

Wed Feb 6 18:17:31 UTC 2002

>Ellen,

Yes, of course some of this is "relative." Some might claim, for
example, that "wuz" is not "eye-dialect" since it represents a higher
vowel than a "fancy" (from my point of view) /a/-like pronunciation.
In some cases, though, (e.g., "sez") no relativity seems to exist.

One could also argue that since they (i.e., your students)are
representing caricature, caricaturistic spellings of their own might
even feed discussion of the representation of dialects in popular
culture. My complaint had always been about the professional use of
such respellings (where they seem most inappropriate), and I don't
buy for one minute the claim, from some ethnomethodologists, for
example, who want to pay peculiar attention to the details of actual
speech, that they "don't have time" to learn phonetic transcription
or that such transcription would make their transcripts unreadable
(as if extensive idiosyncratic repelling would not make them
unreadable). Haaaarumph!

Oh-oh; you got me going again just when I was trying to be nice.

dInIs